Office chairs are essential in creating a productive and comfortable working environment. However, their regular use leads to wear, tear, and accumulation of dirt. Knowing how to clean office chairs can improve their appearance and provide a comfortable work environment for your team.
In addition, proper office chair maintenance can reduce the frequency of replacements, extending their lifespan and offering businesses a smart way to cut expenses.
However, each office chair, based on its material, requires a tailored cleaning approach. To ensure the longevity and integrity of the chair, it’s crucial to understand and implement the proper cleaning methods. Read on below for detailed instructions and tips on cleaning an office chair.
1. Read The Upholstery Cleaning Codes
Before diving into the cleaning process, check the upholstery cleaning codes found on most office chairs. These codes provide guidance on which cleaning solutions can be safely used:
- W – Clean only with water-based solutions.
- S – Clean only with dry-cleaning solvents.
- S/W – Clean with either water-based solutions or dry-cleaning solvents.
- X – Vacuum only; no water or solvents.
2. What You Need
Proper cleaning requires the right tools. Ensure you have:
- A vacuum with a brush attachment
- Mild soap or detergent
- Clean cloths or sponges
- A soft-bristled brush
- Dry-cleaning solvent (if required)
3. How To Clean Spills And Stains On Office Chairs
Immediate response to spills and stains is essential to prevent them from setting in and causing lasting damage. Different materials require different cleaning approaches. Here’s a detailed breakdown of how to clean spills and stains from fabric office chairs and other chair types:
How To Clean Mesh Office Chairs
- Immediate Action: If there’s a spill, quickly blot (don’t rub) the affected area with a dry cloth to soak up the liquid. This will minimise the spread of the stain.
- Cleaning: Combine several drops of mild detergent with warm water. Next, moisten a clean cloth with the mixture and gently scrub the stained spot using circular movements.
- Drying: Pat dry the cleaned area with a dry cloth. Allow the chair to air dry. It’s essential to avoid excessive wetting as mesh fabric can lose its shape or integrity if saturated.
How To Clean Fabric Office Chairs
- Preparation: Before treating the stain, vacuum the chair to remove any dirt or particles that can further embed the stain when cleaning.
- Cleaning: Determine the upholstery code. For ‘W’ and ‘S/W’ coded chairs, dampen a cloth with a water-based solution and blot the stain gently. For ‘S’ coded fabric, use a dry-cleaning solvent.
- Drying: Press a dry cloth against the cleaned spot to absorb excess moisture. Let it air dry.
How To Clean Vinyl Office Chairs
- Immediate Action: For spills, quickly wipe them off using a wet cloth to prevent staining.
- Cleaning: Prepare a mixture of mild soap and lukewarm water for set stains. Using a cloth, gently rub the stained area in circular motions. Vinyl is durable, but abrasive scrubbing can scratch its surface.
- Drying: Wipe off any soap residue using a damp cloth, then pat the area dry with a fresh cloth. Ensure it’s thoroughly dry to prevent mould growth.
How To Clean Leather Office Chairs
- Immediate Action: If there’s a spill, blot it immediately using a dry cloth. Do not rub the surface; it can spread the stain or scratch the leather.
- Cleaning: Mix a few drops of mild soap in lukewarm water. Moisten a fresh cloth with the mixture and lightly dab the stain. It’s crucial not to soak the leather as it can cause discolouration or damage.
- Drying: Wipe off any soap residue with a clean, damp cloth. Then, use a dry cloth to pat the area. Allow the chair to air dry away from direct sunlight, which can fade the leather.
How To Clean Plastic Office Chairs
- Cleaning: Dampen a cloth with a solution of mild detergent and water. Wipe the chair, focusing on stained areas.
- Drying: Wipe the chair with a dry cloth after removing all dirt and stains. Given the non-porous nature of plastic, it should dry relatively quickly.
By taking immediate action and following these detailed steps, the lifespan and appearance of your office chairs can be maintained, which is beneficial for both the office environment and the company’s finances.
4. How To Clean Office Chair Wheels
Over time, the wheels accumulate dirt, hair, and debris, which can hinder their function and cause wear to the flooring. Regular cleaning of the office chair wheels ensures seamless mobility and extends their lifespan.
Here’s a detailed guide on how to clean office chair wheels:
Turn the chair upside down, ideally placing it on a table or workbench, to access the wheels easily. If your chair has a tilting mechanism, ensure it’s locked to prevent movement during cleaning.
Check for visible clumps of hair, dust, or debris entangled in the wheel. These can be a primary cause of impaired wheel movement.
Removal Of Debris: Using tweezers or a pair of needle-nose pliers, carefully remove any tangled hair, threads, or other debris from the wheels.
Brush Off Dust: Use a small brush (an old toothbrush works well) to scrub off accumulated dirt and dust from the wheels.
Detaching The Wheels: If accessible and practical, consider removing the wheels from the chair. This allows for a more thorough cleaning.
Soak And Scrub: Create a mixture using warm water and several drops of mild detergent. Soak the wheels for a few minutes and then scrub with a brush to remove stubborn grime.
Rinse And Dry: After cleaning, rinse the wheels with clean water and pat them dry with a cloth. Ensure they’re completely dry before reattaching to avoid rusting of metal parts.
If the wheels squeak or don’t rotate smoothly post-cleaning, consider applying a small amount of lubricant. This ensures smooth movement and reduces wear and tear.
5. Why Hire A Professional Commercial Cleaning Service Company In Singapore For Cleaning Office Chairs
While regular in-house maintenance can serve basic cleaning needs, certain challenges demand the expertise of professionals. Hiring a seasoned cleaning service, such as ESP Cleaning Service, offers distinct advantages, especially for businesses that aim to project a polished and pristine image.
Here are three main reasons you need to hire a commercial cleaning company in Singapore:
Expertise In Removing Stubborn Stains
Even with the best care, office chairs are susceptible to stubborn stains from spilt coffee, ink blots, or food residues. These stubborn stains can become ingrained in the material, making them resistant to general cleaning methods.
A professional cleaning service can tackle these stains more effectively with access to specialised cleaning agents and advanced techniques. They understand the intricacies of different materials, ensuring that the stain removal process does not damage the chair’s fabric or upholstery.
Assurance In Product Choice
Not every product suits every material, and the wrong choice can irreparably damage office furniture. Businesses might also find themselves ill-equipped with the necessary tools for effective cleaning.
Professional cleaning services, with their vast experience, eliminate this guesswork. They come armed with a curated selection of cleaning agents tailored for specific materials and the right tools to ensure a thorough job.
Save Time So You Can Focus On Your Business
Time is a precious commodity for every business. Every minute spent on tasks outside the company’s core functions can impact productivity and revenues. Businesses can free up significant time by entrusting the cleaning responsibility to professionals.
Rather than diverting manpower and resources to handle cleaning challenges, companies can channel their energies into growth, innovation, and serving their clients.
Conclusion About How To Clean Office Chairs
The importance of cleaning office chairs cannot be overstated. Not only does it enhance the office’s appearance, but it also brings potential financial benefits by reducing replacement costs.
This is why you must invest your time wisely in maintaining office chairs, or consider hiring professional office cleaning services in Singapore to ensure the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions About How To Clean Office Chairs
How Often To Schedule Office Chair Cleanings With A Professional?
The frequency depends on the usage and environment, but as a general recommendation, office chairs in a typical office setting should undergo professional cleaning every six months to a year. High-traffic or spill-prone areas might benefit from quarterly cleanings.
How Do Professional Cleanings Compare To In-House Methods For Office Chairs?
Professional cleanings use advanced equipment and specialised techniques, ensuring thorough and safe cleaning. In-house methods may lack these resources, resulting in less effective cleaning or damage.
How Do Commercial Cleaning Services Extend Office Chair Lifespan?
Commercial services deep clean chairs, removing grime and allergens effectively, preventing material degradation. Regular professional care helps chairs maintain their appearance and functionality longer.
Can Office Chairs Be Washed?
No, office chairs shouldn’t be fully submerged or washed in water as it can damage the internal mechanics, padding, and fabric. Instead, they should be spot-cleaned based on the type of material, using appropriate cleaning solutions and methods.
How Do You Clean Sweat Out Of Office Chairs?
To clean sweat from office chairs, first vacuum the chair to remove loose dirt. Then, use a cloth dampened with a blend of mild detergent and warm water to gently blot and clean the affected areas. Allow the chair to air dry completely to prevent mold or mildew buildup.